January 15, 2017

Kanga, week 2 of '50 new to me bands'

Kanga - Self titled 2016 release

My second request went to DJ Black/Mail.

Kanga is a generally down tempo synthpop-ish album I'm not sure where exactly I'd categorize it and that is always a good thing. Upon the first listen it had some good hooks that drew me in and subsequent listens it only got better. Her voice is really hard to define, sometime breathy, other times pure and clear, sometimes tinged with regret other times fierce. It reminds me, at turns, of Bliss Blood of 'Pain Teens', Meg Lee Chin, Ayria, Katiejane Garside of 'Daisy Chainsaw', and Tina Root, but her voice is all her own. Musically I see it as kind of like a synthpop child of  NIN and Switchblade Symphony with 'Evil's Toy' as the godfather. The lyrical content and the vocal styling is often complete opposites creating a great juxtaposition. Many songs that would be great for a dance floor as well as simply listening for enjoyment.

This is a solid album, I liked almost every track though some certainly stuck out.

Going into rotation:

    Something Dangerous - a slow electronica grind, low in tempo. Almost seems like a musical                      homage to NIN 'The Becoming'
    All goes red - Steady driving beat with a breathy confident vocal track.
    Honey - Hard hitting song, dark & fierce undertones that really drive this song.
    Viciousness - This song has a great groove to it and dark sensual lyrics.
    Tension - Probably my favorite track, her voice is often haunting while a slow steady beat swirls               around it like a heartbeat.
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Listening now, Will certainly add this to my library. I'm looking forward to following in your footsteps for the next 48 weeks. :)

DeHuman8 said...

:)