April 19, 2005

A Friendly Spanish Harlem

So when I was down in NYC I stayed with some friends,Nick and Hilary (or is it Hillary? I can never remember), and that went a long way toward improving my opinion of NYC. First off it was nice staying in manhattan, Spanish harlem to be specific. A very Hispanic neighborhood, lots of Spanish being spoken, as the name would imply. Anywho, it was nice to be able to go somewhere and rest weary feet.
so the first night, nick & I went to his neighborhood bar across the street, hilary joined us later (Inge stayed with kid this night). I must say, bars staying open till 4am is a dangerously good thing. We got about 7-8 rounds & were feeling pretty good, and I was amazed by how friendly everyone was. Since nick is a regular there we only had to pay for 3 rounds, never a bad thing. This really did more to improve my opinion of NYC than anything else, just such a mix of people who didn’t care one way or another what race, sex, religion, or career anyone else was or had, If you were there & not looking for trouble, you were worth talking to. No airs, no pretensions. Just people being decent. Who woulda thunk it?

Anyway, I’ve meandered long enough.

-De

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So you had a positive experience with other human beings...interesting.